A person may try a vegetarian or vegan diet for health, animal welfare, or religious reasons however, vegetarians and especially vegans often get asked “And where do you get your protein?”
In 2016, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics stated that an appropriately planned vegetarian or vegan diet could provide all the nutritional requirements of adults, children, elderly, athletes and those who were pregnant or breast-feeding.
However, getting enough protein and essential vitamins and minerals can be harder for people who don’t eat meat or animal products. A well-planned diet should be done.
Excellent sources of protein
Most of us think that protein is only come from meat however actually it can be found in large variety of other foods.
The following foods have a high protein content per serving.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
- Spirulina powder
- Peanut butter
Vegetarian and vegan protein salad
Salad may be one of easiest and healthy dish to prepare and convenient to eat during anytime of the day. Below are some vegetarian and vegan salad recipes which are helpful for you in diet planning.
Vegan : Quick Bean Salad
- 1 pcs Halloumi cheese
- Half of a broccoli
- ½ avocado
- Half a cup of quinoa
- Salad vegetables
- Olive oil
How to make it:
- First of all, wash your salad and carefully dry it.
- Cut your avocado in small dices. Fill the pot with some water, boil it and then put your broccoli there. Cook it for 7-8 minutes.
- Prepare a pot for quinoa, put it in it, add a cup of water and boil it. When all the water is gone, your quinoa is ready; usually, it takes 6 or 7 minutes.
- Now take your grill pan, add olive oil and let it heat up. Then put halloumi and broccolini on it and grill for 5 or 6 minutes. Remember, that the thickness of halloumi pieces should not be more than 1cm.
- When all the ingredients are ready, put it in a bowl and mix it. Then take olive oil to season it.
Don’t forget that the salad is tastier when halloumi is hot.
Vegetarian: Chickpea and Spinach Salad
- A can of chickpeas
- 1 fistful of spinach
- 1 cup of corn
- 175g Feta
- 1/2 handful Raisins
- Honey and olive oil
- Chili flakes
How to make it:
- Firstly, take only a half can of chickpeas and one fistful of spinach. Slice 175g of feta. Put all the ingredients in a bowl. Remember that chickpeas should be drained and rinsed.
- Prepare another bowl, it can be small. Add 1.5 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 0.25 tbsp of vinegar, half a handful of raisins and mix them. Then take salt and chili flakes and put it in your bowl. Mix well all these ingredients again. Now your dressing is ready.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and eat it immediately.